The littlest of elves will be putting their best feet forward at Christmas —if they kick off the holiday season with a pair of Santa booties.
Knit Baby Booties
- Worsted-weight yarn—one skein each or scraps of black, red and white
- Pair of size 5 straight knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge
- Size G/6 (4.25mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle or large tapestry needle
GAUGE: When working in St st, 5 sts and 7 rows = 1 inch.
- Knit 2, purl 2 ribbing: K 2, p 2 rib
- Every Row: * K 2, p 2; repeat from * across row.
DIRECTIONS (make two): With black, cast on 38 sts.
- Rows 1-10: Knit each row even. Fasten off black yarn and attach red yarn: 38 sts.
- Row 11: K 16, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 2, k 2 tog, k 16: 36 sts.
- Row 12: P 15, sl 1, p 1, psso, p 2, p 2 tog, p 15: 34 sts.
- Row 13: K 14, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 2, k 2 tog, k 14: 32 sts.
- Row 14: P 13, sl 1, p 1, psso, p 2, p 2 tog, p 13: 30 sts.
- Row 15: K 12, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 2, k 2 tog, k 12: 28 sts.
- Row 16: P 11, sl 1, p 1, psso, p 2, p 2 tog, p 11: 26 sts.
- Row 17: K 10, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 2, k 2 tog, k 10: 24 sts.
- Row 18: P across row: 24 sts.
- Row 19: K 2, yo twice, [k 3, yo twice] three times, k 2, yo twice, [k 3, yo twice] three times, k 2: 40 sts.
- Row 20: P 2, drop both yo (eyelet made), [p 3, drop both yo] three times, p 2, drop both yo, [p 3, drop both yo] three times, p 2: 24 sts.
- Row 21: K across row: 24 sts.
- Row 22: P across row. Fasten off red yarn and attach white yarn: 24 sts.
- Rows 23-36: Work k 2, p 2 rib for 14 rows: 24 sts.
- Bind off loosely in ribbing, leaving a length of yarn for joining.
- FINISHING: Thread tapestry needle with yarn left for joining and, with wrong sides together, join back seam of ribbed cuff. With right sides together, join back and sole, using matching yarn. Fasten off yarn and weave loose ends in. Fold down cuff.
- TIES: Using crochet hook and white yarn, make a 15-in.-long chain. Weave chain through eyelets and tie in a bow.
FINISHED SIZE: Newborn to 6 months.
- k knit
- p purl
- psso pass slipped stitch over
- sl slip
- st(s) stitch(es)
- tog together
- yo yarn over
- * or [ ] Instructions after asterisk or between brackets are repeated a given number of times.
Baby’s Knitted Santa Booties from Anne Crupi of Cortland, New York