This baby afghan is simple to stitch and could be done in a rainbow of color combinations.
Baby Crochet Afghan
- Worsted-weight yarn—18 ounces of peach or color of choice and 8 ounces of white
- Size I/9 (5.5mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Yarn or tapestry needle
GAUGE: Working in sc, 12 sts and 16 rows = 4 inches. Slight variation in gauge will change finished size a bit.
Spcl: Spike Cluster: Over next st, pick up 5 spike lps by inserting hook as follows: Insert hook through to back 2 sts to right of next st and 1 row down, draw up lp to front even with row, in the same way, insert hk 1 st to right and 2 rows down draw up lp even with row, insert hk directly below and 3 rows down, draw up lp even with row, insert hk 1 st to left and 2 rows down, draw up lp even with row, insert hk 2 sts to left and 1 row down and draw up a lp, (6 lps on hk) now insert hk into to top of next st itself, yo, draw yarn through, yo, draw through all 7 lps on hk. See photo.
- Row 1: With white yarn, ch 110, sc in second ch from hk and in each remaining ch across, turn: 109 scs.
- Rows 2-4: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: 109 scs. Change to peach yarn at the end of Row 4.
- Row 5: With peach yarn, ch 1, sc in each of next 9 sts, * work spcl, sc in next 9 sts; repeat from * across row.
- Rows 6-10: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: 109 scs. Change to white at the end of Row 10.
- Rows 11-14: With white yarn, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: 109 scs. Change to peach yarn at end of Row 14.
- Row 15: With peach yarn, sc in next 4 sts, work spcl, * sc in next 9 sts, work spcl; repeat from * across, sc in last 4 sts, turn.
- Rows 16-20: Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: 109 scs. Change to white at the end of Row 20.
- Rows 21-24: With white yarn, ch 1, sc in each st across, turn: 109 sts. Change to peach yarn at the end of Row 24.
- Repeat Rows 5-24 seven times.
- Repeat Row 5 once. Do not fasten off.
- Round 1: Work 2 more scs in last st of last row. Sc evenly around, working 1 sc in ends of rows and keeping work flat to corners, work 3 scs in each corner around to beginning sc. Join with a sl st.
- Round 2: * Ch 7, sl st in back lp of next st; repeat from * around, ch 7, join with a sl st in beginning st. Fasten off.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan measures about 36 inches wide x 44 inches long.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- hk hook
- lp(s) loop(s)
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sl st slip stitch
- st(s) stitch(es)
- yo yarn over
- * Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed.
Baby Crochet Afghan from Ruth Shepherd of Chickasaw, Alabama