Welcoming a newborn warmly is what this pretty crocheted cover does best.
- 3-ply fingering or baby yarn—6 ounces each of green and white and 8 ounces of yellow
- Size F/5 (3.75mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Tapestry needle
- Measuring tape
GAUGE: Working in dc, 5 sts and 2 rows = 1 inch.
- Row 1: Ch 1, sc in each sc across, turn: 189 scs.
- Row 2: Ch 3 for first dc, dc in next sc, ch 3, sk two scs; * sc in next sc, ch 3, sk two scs, work 3 dcs in next sc, ch 3, sk two scs; repeat from * across to last seven scs, sc in fifth sc from end, ch 3, sk two scs, dc in each of the last 2 scs, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in each of first two dcs, ch 2, sk ch-3 sp, dc in next sc; * ch 2, sk ch-3 sp and first dc, sc in center dc of 3-dc group, ch 2, sk next dc and ch-3 sp, dc in next sc; repeat from * across, ch 2, sc in the last dc and in top of turning ch, turn.
- Row 4: Ch 1, sc in each of first two scs, work 2 scs in ch-2 sp, sc in dc; * work 2 scs in ch-2 sp, sc in sc, work 2 scs in ch-2 sp, sc in dc; repeat from * across, ending last repeat with 2 scs in ch-2 sp and sc in each of last two scs, turn.
With white yarn, ch 190.
- Row 1: Sc in second ch from hk and in each ch across, turn: 189 scs.
- Rows 2-4: Work Pattern Rows 2-4. Fasten off.
- Rows 5-12: Attach yellow yarn with a sl st in last st, repeat Pattern Rows 1-4 twice. Fasten off at end of Row 12.
- Rows 13-16: Attach white yarn with a sl st in last st, work Pattern Rows 1-4. Fasten off at end of Row 16.
- Rows 17-24: Attach green yarn with a sl st in last st, work Pattern Rows 1-4 twice. Fasten off at end of Row 24.
- Rows 25-28: Attach white yarn with a sl st in last st, work Pattern Rows 1-4 once. Fasten off at end of Row 28.
- Rows 29-172: Repeat Rows 5-28 six more times.
- Rows 173-184: Repeat Rows 5-16. Do not fasten off white at end of Row 16, turn.
- Edging: Ch 1, sc in each st around, working 3 scs in each corner, 1 sc in each sc across rows and 2 dcs in each dc and each ch-3 at ends of rows; join with sl st in first sc.
- Fasten off. Weave in loose ends.
- Cut a 6-1/2-in.-long piece of yellow yarn. Fold yarn in half. Use hook to insert loop of yarn through center sc at one corner. Pull ends of yarn through loop and tighten loop around yarn ends.
- In same way, add green fringe to next sc along narrow end of afghan. Continue adding fringe to each sc along narrow end, alternating yellow and green yarns and placing last fringe in center sc of corner at same end.
- In same way, add fringe to opposite end of afghan. Trim ends of fringe even.
FINISHED SIZE: Afghan is about 35 inches wide x 45 inches long, plus fringe.
- ch(s) chain(s)
- dc(s) double crochet(s)
- hk hook
- sc(s) single crochet(s)
- sk skip
- sl st slip stitch
- sp(s) space(s)
- st(s) stitch(es)
- * Instructions following asterisk are repeated as directed.
Baby Afghan from Sharon Muir of West Chicago, Illinois