Vintage Kitchen with 50s Charm

Nostalgic kitchen's owner celebrates the past through her collection of vintage treasures and retro designs.

Oven and window in the Vintage Kitchen

Oven and window in the Vintage Kitchen

This 1950s Chambers cookstove helped seal the deal when Krissy and her husband were househunting. The kitchen still has its original cabinetry. Krissy added red accents, like the antique red-and-white enamelware and the 1940s teapot curtains.

Work Area in the Vintage Kitchen

Work Area in the Vintage Kitchen

From the glass spice jars to the vintage recipe cards and cookbooks, Krissy's kitchen is chockablock full of details worth seeing.

Vintage table and shelf

Vintage table and shelf

Antique plates and collectibles overlook the vintage table, trimmed in red.

Shelf displaying vintage treasures

Shelf displaying vintage treasures

Krissy found this display shelf, covered with dust, in the basement of an antique store. With a coat of fresh white paint and some green glass drawer knobs, it became the lace-trimmed backdrop for her collection of vintage kitchenware. Not bad for a $12 investment!

Vintage Hutch

Vintage Hutch

Cheery red and white accent the hutch. Sometimes known as a hoosier cabinet, this kind of hutch was popular before the 1920s, but faded as kitchens became more modern. Krissy says it's very functional, and "terrific for small kitchens."

Vintage Hutch, side view

Vintage Hutch, side view

"My kitchen is my pride," reads the sampler on the hutch.

Krissy Falzon

Krissy Falzon

Krissy Falzon doesn't mind it if you say she's living in the past! She even enjoys reading novels that were popular in decades gone by.

Vintage-inspired craft room

Krissy's vintage-inspired craft room

Krissy primed and painted dark-paneled walls to create a light-filled craft room for quilling, paint projects and decoupage.

Craft Room-bookcase

Craft Room-bookcase

A nostalgic sampler hangs over the lace-trimmed bookcase, filled with antique books and storage tins.

Bulletin board and storage

Bulletin board and storage

A 1950s pink lingerie cabinet holds Krissy's doilies, ribbons and ephemera. It's topped with a wood file card case, over which she hung a bulletin board she created with vintage floral fabrics and ribbons.

Krissy crafting

Krissy crafting

Krissy relaxes by quilling, an old crafting technique of forming designs by rolling paper. Quilling is making a comeback with crafters.

Krissy Falzon doesn’t just indulge in her passion for antiques. She lives it!

Her 1953 Bellmore, New York, home is a retro masterpiece. And it was the kitchen that helped seal the deal when she and husband Frank were house hunting, because it came with the original 1950s Chambers cookstove, in working order. Expanding the retro look from there seemed only natural.

“My fascination with antiques began when I was about 9,” she recalls. “I walked with my girlfriend to the outdoor antique market every weekend, and the vendors taught us the history of the items that piqued our interest.”

Krissy’s home is no museum crowded with hands-off retro exhibits. She makes a point of using everything in it, from the antique cookbooks and vintage Pyrex bowls in her cheery yellow and white kitchen, trimmed in red accents, to the milk-glass planters that hold her art supplies in her green craft room.

“I love accessorizing my home with vintage items,” Krissy says of her vintage style. “You can see thousands of antiques and collectibles and never see the same thing twice. They’re unique and great conversation pieces. and you can’t find these great oldies at today’s home stores.

“Our guests come for the experience of drinking out of ’50s tumblers and eating rice pudding from old glass dessert cups.”

Krissy, who’s written several books on organizing and decorating, says it’s easy to make every room in your home special and make what’s old look new again.

“The easiest way to begin a decorating project is to break it down,” she says, advising starting with paint color you love.

Then, work with what you have.

“Surround yourself with only items that you love,” she suggests, and figure out how to help each item reach its potential.

This may mean visualizing a dark wood chair with glossy white paint and a vibrant yellow floral cushion, as Krissy did.

Or it may mean using old items in unexpected ways. Krissy suggests you could use whimsical vintage head vases not to hold flowers, but your pens or paintbrushes, or an elegant milk glass compote to hold pretty bathroom soaps. Display collectibles as a group, she said, both to maximize their impact and combat clutter.

Don’t be afraid to experiment, Krissy says, and keep an open mind. “Many mistakes end up creating the best look!” she says.

Vintage Kitchen Photography by Ken Spencer.

Marsha Tech 1 April 25, 2013 at 5:59 pm

This kitchen is really nice, looks a lot like mine. My stove is from the early 1950′s with a work area beside the burners. Kitchen table and chairs are 1950′s, house was built in 1945 and has the original cabinets. Love it and use it daily. If you need to see a picture, look me up on FB Marsha Lynn Tech, it’s my FB page picture.

Mary Catherine 2 April 28, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi Loved your kitchen. We had a Chambers in our old house but when we built this one in 1976 everyone said “You dont take that old stove to build your new kitchen around it, you should have a new one”.. Saddest decision I made and I have missed it every since. Next house will have one.
I first learned about Chambers stoves in the very early 1960′s. the mother of a boy I was dating had one. I vowed then one day I would own one. So a few years after I was married I found one for sale second hand. We bought it and were never sorry. Glad you did your kitchen with the old stove , good choice.
MC

Jacquelin Niehus 3 May 3, 2013 at 1:47 am

Love the reds and whites. I can remember some of the things in your kitchen , because my grams had some of those things. I loved the fact that you also wear aprons. My grandkids know that if I do not have an apron on, then I am going somewhere. I have followed my grams, my mom, my Aunt in the tradition of apron wearing. I am just an old fashion girl at heart.

Marge C 4 May 3, 2013 at 8:57 am

You are way off on your date for the small white cupboard. I was born in 1935 and my parents had one then that looked similar to this one. They were poor so it would have been used – probably for a long time before they got it. After WW2 (late 40’s) the REA (Rural Electrification Assn?) changed all our lives with electricity for everyone including us country-folk. With that came indoor plumbing, built in cabinets/sinks and those cupboards (as shown) became “antiques” by 1950. So instead of ‘50’s it should probably say 20’s or even earlier.

An added note: ALL the dishes mom owned fit in the top, flatware in the drawer under and pots and pans behind the doors under that. On the left side was a flour bin as well (behind the second top door on the left side.) The Radio probably is from the 50’s because prior to that, radios were wood. I’m guessing this one is electric and is plastic. Prior to that, radios were powered by big batteries (larger than ones in your car.) I wish I still had it, her butter churn and many other items that were thrown away to make way for the new.

lori 5 May 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi, Marge, and thanks for the comment.

Our caption for picture #5 does indicate that hoosier cabinets were popular before 1920 but lost favor as kitchens became more modern — so no disagreement there, By the 1950s, they were indeed old-fashioned and not found in modern homes. Most likely, the original owner of Krissy’s 1953 home did not have a hoosier cabinet for that reason!

Still, Krissy’s house isn’t really about re-creating a 1950s modern kitchen — she’s more about celebrating what she loves from various eras up to about the 1950s.

Thanks for the memories about your mom’s hoosier cabinets. It’s amazing how much kitchens have changed in the last 150 years or so!

Audrey Carter 6 May 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

I have a cabinet in my kitchen like the one in the picture. (White cabinet with red trim) It belonged to my mother. It was in her kitchen as long as I can remember. I claimed it after my mother passed away and we cleared out her house. It is a favorite in my family, in fact, my grandson wants it when I no longer need it.

lori 7 May 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Your grandson knows a treasure when he sees it, lucky guy! Thanks for the smile.

nadette 8 May 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm

would love to see kitchens from the early 60′s.

Brenda 9 November 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm

My husband and I own a business that work on all vintage appliances and we have them in our home. I love my O’Keefe and Merritt 600.