Cookie decorating parties are a great way to get together with friends during the holidays! Here are our top tips for an easy-to-throw cookie decorating bash.
If you’d like to invite friends to a cookie decorating party of your own, there’s no time like the present. These tips will get you started!
- Do the math. Estimate how many cookie decorators you can comfortably accommodate. You can bake ahead and provide all the cookies, or ask each guest to come with a few dozen suitable for trimming.
- Take inventory. Decide whether you’ll supply the cookie decorations and icings, or ask guests to bring various cookie trims.
- Clear your space. Cover a worktable or other surface with a sturdy disposable tablecloth.
- Set up a showcase. Put finished cookies on a separate table for everyone to admire.
- Let guests choose to sit at a lower table to decorate or to stand at a higher table, whichever they find more comfortable.
- Place squeeze bottles of icing as well as food coloring gel, mini candies, colored sugars and sprinkles in several spots around the table. Paper towels are handy, too.
- Put cookies on baking sheets, trays or plates while the icing hardens.
Working with kids? Remember to:
- Arrange the workspace on easy-to-clean flooring.
- Remind your artists to wash their hands before starting and as needed throughout
- Provide booster seats for younger children.
- Put decorations in small dishes to avoid
over-sprinklng accidents. Show them how to pinch small amounts of what they need.
- Give them large paper plates as individual decorating stations to ease cleanup.
- Count out five to eight cookies per child for decorating, depending on their attention span.
- Protect your production by offering healthy snacks to prevent cookie snitchin’!
- Let each kid choose one of their decorated cookies to wrap up and take home or eat at the end of the party.
- Teach about sharing. Consider delivering several dozen decorated cookies to a community agency serving people in need. (Read about how others have done it.)
Need a good sugar cookie recipe? This one is delicious and super-simple to decorate!
For more cookie decorating tips visit dropinanddecorate.org.